10 places to take your mom in portland maine for mother's day
Mother’s Day is right around the corner. Are you ready to celebrate those awesome moms, grandmothers, aunties, sisters, dog moms, and badass female caregivers in your life? I know I am. I’m extremely lucky to have not one but two amazing mommas in my immediate family and tons of amazings mommas in my life!
As much as I love Mother’s Day because, those ladies deserve recognition for their endless dedication to their families and friends, I hate shopping for Mother’s Day. There is literally no gift on Earth that can adequately express the way I feel about moms!
That’s not really surprising because my love language is Quality Time. And physical objects hold less meaning to me than just enjoying the company of the people I care about. So, I decided to take a different approach to Mother’s Day gifting this year.
If you don’t live in or near Portland, Maine, that’s okay! You can use my list to gain inspiration. I bet there’s something similar in your city for you and your mom to enjoy together!
Without further ado, here are 10 Places to Take Your Mom for Mother’s Day in Portland, Maine!
For the Momma who loves to be pampered:
Nine Stones Spa - This place is the absolute definition of luxury! With a full range of spa services, ranging from massages to nail services, to facials, to aromatherapy, there is something for everyone here! Indulge in something special. I highly recommend their deep tissue massages. Get there early and enjoy a cup of tea or a steam session in their saunas before your service!
Soakology - If a full on pamper session is not what you’re after, you can still enjoy a taste of the good life at this Japanese-inspired foot sanctuary. Make sure to wear loose pants that are easily rolled above your knee and get ready for a unique but utterly relaxing experience. My favorite soaks are the Breathe Easy and Clarity of Mind. You can even add a foot massage!
For the Momma who loves brunch:
3. The Sinful Kitchen: If you drove by this adorable little brunch spot because you thought it was just someone’s house, you wouldn’t be alone. This hidden gem of Portland is an absolute favorite of mine.Make a day out of it by hitting the Fore River Sanctuary Trail first. Start on Congress Street and follow the signs for Jewell Falls and Brighton Ave to come out by the restaurant. After your walk through the woods, reward yourself with a mimosa and the crab and avocado eggs benedict. It’s basically Heaven on Earth. Gluten-free or vegan? The Sinful Kitchen caters to special diets! Check out their menu for designated items or ask your server.
4. Bayside American Cafe: A true Portland classic with a cult-like following. Get there early and enjoy a cup of coffee outside while you wait. I have yet to try something at Bayside that I don’t love but the Cinnamon Bun pancakes and Louisiana Bayou Benedict are standouts for me. Enjoy a boozy coffee, mimosa, or a Bloody Mary, too. There is no better way to start the day!
For the Momma who loves to get her drink on:
5. Cellardoor Tasting Room at the Point: If your momma loves wine, you have to check out Cellardoor! Their tasting room is absolutely stunning (make sure you head out back to check out the most amazing pink chairs). Their wine list is extensive. Their staff is knowledgeable. You can book a tasting for larger groups or walk in and grab a spot at the bar. I’ve done both and both were great experiences! These wines are made in Maine and made with love. You’ll really feel that in the Tasting Room!
6. Bar of Chocolate: My goodness. I can’t express how much I love this place. Tucked away on a cobblestone street in Portland’s famous Old Port district, the Bar of Chocolate is a cozy little spot to grab a fantastic martini and a made from scratch dessert. While chocolate is certainly their focus, there also offer up delicacies like carrot cake, cheesecake, and creme brulee for those weirdos who don’t like chocolate.
For the active Momma:
7. Fort Williams Park: Located just outside of Portland in beautiful Cape Elizabeth, this park is a must see for the lighthouse lover in you. The park, located on the now decommissioned Naval base, is full of history, beauty, and is home to one of Maine’s most famous lighthouses - the Portland Head Light. Take a cliff walk, explore the base, or take a tour of a working lighthouse. From the park, you’ll also get to view a few of Portland’s other lighthouses and you can watch the boats move in and out of the working waterfront. Dogs are welcome. Pack a lunch and enjoy your picnic seaside or grab a lobster roll from Bite Into Maine!
8. Maine Duck Tours: Hop aboard the amphibious Duck Tour and enjoy views of Portland from land and sea! Your tour will include a loop of historic downtown as well as a dive into Casco Bay to see beautiful Portland from the water! Get a little silly with mom and make sure you quack at passer-bys! Have your camera ready because you’re sure to get some great shots!
For the bougie Momma:
9. Central Provisions: Growing up in my house, food was an expression of love. As a family, we shared food with each other as way to connect. Reaching across the table to stick your fork into someone else’s dish was a totally normal and acceptable activity. So, this restaurant really speaks to my soul. Small plates, made with the best ingredients, that are meant to be shared. Indulge with your mom in some beautiful dishes. The Citrus Salad, Fried Cauliflower, and Bone Marrow Toast are some my favorites but don’t forget to check out the specials board. The masterminds behind the Central Provisions are always serving up something new!
10. Vena’s Fizz House: Johanna and Steve, the faces behind this craft cocktail spot, are knowledgable, passionate, and above all, giving. Part store front, part bar - Vena’s Fizz House is the perfect spot for someone who really appreciates the art of mixology. Explore their offerings, grab a drink, and learn from the owners themselves how to recreate their drinks at home. No secrets here! Johanna and Steve love to make beautiful drinks and they want to share their know-how with you! Not sure what to order, ask the bartender and they’ll steer you in the right direction. Then ask for the Truffled popcorn. It is to die for!
What are you doing with your momma for Mother’s Day? Tell me all about it in the comments below!